Game Setting question (And misc other questions while i'm at it)

3D Printable Dungeon Tiles & Terrain Forums General General Chat Game Setting question (And misc other questions while i'm at it)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rob 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    viczim123
    Total posts: 31
    Participant

I’ve been toying with the idea of making my own amateur wargame rules for some time, on and off. For a little bit now I’ve been super into the idea, but I have have questions I must get answered before I make any solid plans (not that I’m ‘ready to move’, it still may never really happen!)

1: What I primarily want to be is a writer. That’s where my heart is, with game design being a close second. Black Library is doing their submission call thing, and I’m interested in that. But what I need to know is; Lets say I release something playable, and it gets popular (bare with me). I know GW is aggressive with competition, and I don’t know the industry, but would that scenario (I’m both a writer for Black Library AND have made my own game) jeopardize itself? Would Black Library fire me for succeeding in making my own game? Will I more-or-less need to choose?

2: What setting is appropriate for a wargame’s fluff? I wanted to use a universe I most recently made for my own fantasy novels, sort-of to ‘keep in touch’ while I (hopefully) write for Black Library. But to be blunt, I’m not sure I want to share my setting, as in with other writer’s/game designers if the game got big. At the same time, I want to bring the world to life. So would that be a problem for the Wargame’s enjoy-ability?

3: What options are there for manufacturing models? If I get that far, can I very easily outsource the models? I would want a hand in their making, I have a lot of ideas for them, But learning to sculpt is a time-consuming thing to add for me right now. While on the topic: 4: How long should I expect to take to learn to sculpt, say, average quality mini’s, and what tools ought I use (Digitally designing the models or physically molding clay)?

Thank you for reading this, any advice would be helpful.

Rob
    Total posts: 40
    Keymaster

You could look at writing up some supplements for existing games instead of going with a full ruleset, that might inspire your writing flair before diving into it!

There are so many settings you could use for your war game, Heroclix is set in multiple universe types (lord of the rings, marvel, etc…) and I would definitely consider it a war game.

Manufacturing becomes very difficult I don’t know enough but that I am afraid, but hopefully someone else might be able to help! 🙂

It sounds awesome though, good luck!

viczim123
    Total posts: 31
    Participant

Hopefully it all works out great #FingersCrossed

Rob
    Total posts: 40
    Keymaster

Yes I’m sure it will!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.